Image Image Image Image Image




Body, engine and radiator fitment.

Great updates today!  Kevin did a preliminary mock fitting of the body on the chassis with the radiator and motor.  It’s starting to look like a real car.



Engine, transaxle and radiator mounted!

It’s starting to look serious!!  Exhaust build/fitment work up next.



Transaxle with body on.

Today we have before and after pictures of where the transaxle fits.

This first picture is of the 1958 body, chassis and stock transaxle:


This second picture is with the 1958 body on the new Mendeola chassis and Subaru transaxle:


And finally, close ups of the new setup:





Transaxle fitted in chassis.

The SubaruGears transaxle mounted and shifting!  Kevin is an artist!



Transaxle is being fitted.

Transaxle made it across the Pacific. Mendeola is doing chassis fitment this week and said they have it shifting. We should have pictures in a few days.



Transaxle built!

SubaruGears has shipped the transaxle.  Should clear customs and arrive stateside in about a week.

Some pics of the transaxle build:

the hybrid gearing 5-speed



Build update..

Lots of updates today:


  1. Motor.John at Outfront Motorsports is working on the motor.  He performed a preliminary cylinder leak down test on all cylinders and the motor came in at 2%!  A leak down test measures the amount of air needed maintain pressure within a static cylinder.  Good readings come in around 5-8%.  Seems like this engine hasn’t reached its break-in period.  This is all very, very good news.  John and I decided to go with the new AEM ECU (which supports the Subaru AVCS) but it’s still in beta and he will be prepping the motor to run with an existing harness setup. We’re not doing any cosmetics at this time.
  2. Brakes. The race disc brake kit has been ordered from Airkewld. Pete tells me that they should ship in about a week and half. 4-piston wilwood calipers up front and 2-pistons in the rear.  The rotor bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3 (see wheels below). The only problem I foresee with these is that they don’t have a mechanism for the e-brake setup. The e-brake will be required for state inspections here in Virginia.
  3. Transaxle.  SubaruGears said that the transaxle should be complete by Monday and he’ll ship sometime next week, so we should have it in 2.5 weeks at the latest.
  4. Wheels.  I have found two wheel types that I like. Both are 17×7 with with 5×114.3 bolt pattern. Finding 17″x7, 5×130 wheels that I liked was nearly impossible (everything that I loved was only 18×8.5) so based on Airkewld’s advice they will ship the rotors with the more popular 5×114.3 pattern.  I remember the old school Momo five spokes back in the day.

Now – which do you like better? Some quick and dirty mockups with Photoshop:



Torsen limited slip differential (LSD)..

SubaruGears sent photos of the Torsen limited slip differential (LSD) that will be installed in the transaxle.   Torsen = Torque Sensing.   It senses the difference in torque between the wheels and locks them up for better traction.  With the horsepower we’re shooting for and the lightness of the car, Todd suggested that we add it.

This stuff is beyond me in terms of mechanical understanding but I know its cool as southerner in a seersucker suit eating a cucumber sandwich.  The picture of the two tire tracks made by the Tempest from the movie My Cousin Vinny comes to mind.   Here’s an animation of how a Torsen LSD works.

Actual pictures sent from Australia:





Transaxle setup detail.

Todd over at has started the build of the hybrid, reverse pinion transaxle.  According to Todd,

The hybrid is the best and strongest combo of new factory subaru parts and will give years of good service. I have sold plenty of these to 300hp turbo owners.


“The WRX/STi is the factory gearset and ratios for that engine. The hybrid uses slightly different gearing and post treatment to achieve maximum strength.”


We also decided to add a Torsen Limited Slip Differential.  If we’re going to lay down rubber, might as well have two lines. ;)

Traction graph: